Sunday, April 29, 2012

SIGNS YOU DON'T SEE IN CANADA


I happened upon an old trip journal tonight from a family visit to England in 1988.  I used to write down every pub we went to, and what brands we drank.  I was also tickled by the different ways of expression on road signs.  Here are some that I wrote down.

WAY OUT--don't you just want to add, MAN! to that?...no, wait, that would be "Far Out, Man"....

UNSUITABLE FOR MOTORS--here you might see that on a protected lake, there it means, if you go
down here in your car, you will be very sorry, and quite possibly dead.

OLD PEOPLE CROSSING--are there any old people anymore?

DANGER DEEP MUD

DANGER  MUD ON ROAD--I want to say this one with a northern accent  MUHD ON T' ROAAHD

TOAD CROSSING

SWAN CROSSING

HEAVY PLANT CROSSING--makes me think of Triffids....
















BEWARE OF TRAINS--wise advice

POSSIBLE QUEUES AHEAD--pigtails? lineups?  Neither one is particularly noteworthy.

But my two favourites were these: NO DOGS OR CHILDREN ALLOWED.  (Actually, this one was at a pub, and at the time made my blood boil--I love how dogs took precedence over children)  and

STEADY
CHILDREN
CROSSING
ROAD

Is that  PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE HORROR OF SEEING CHILDREN CROSSING THE ROAD or NOT TO WORRY, THE CHILDREN CROSSING THE ROAD ARE VERY SELF-ASSURED AND WILL CAUSE YOU NO TROUBLE AT ALL. ?



No comments:

Post a Comment