Tuesday, February 28, 2012

LA VIDA TURISTICA





Things I did in Ribadesella while waiting for my turn at the caves:


--slept with the window open to listen to the sea--I was as bad as Silke these days.  In Ribadesella, I made the acquaintance of the sea, from my window and from the beach, and  I fell in love.  I spent hours watching a little fishing boat plying its way, with a logic I couldn't fathom, back and forth across the bay, lights winking in the sunset, every now and then dipping behind a wave, but popping up again every time.  I could never quite figure out whether the tide was coming in or out, either.  Capricious and unpredictable, but fun to be with; a perfect springtime fling!



--found the local locutorio where I could write home.

--walked back and forth across the modern bridge which linked the old town and the new town where I was staying.

--gave directions to a town I'd never visited to the driver of a broken-down Ducati. He was supposed to meet his girlfriend there, and he was worried that he'd be late.  Hope he made it!

--finished up my cough medicine.


--photographed these derelict fishing boats.  If my survey of the internet is anything to go by, its de rigeur for any peregrino crossing the bridge (see above) at low tide.



 --visited the market

--ate a three course dinner every night; broad beans in tomato sauce, pork chops, arroz con leche at every opportunity;  I tasted "ze chees zat smells like fite" in a sauce over a breaded cutlet and the third part of the triumvirate of Asturia Cuisine, sidra, quite nice, and not a sour as the Basque version.  There was always way too much food for anyone who hadn't been walking all day.

--laundry



--walked the beach in bare feet, looking for the perfect shell.  I didn't find it but it didn't matter.


Things I did not do in Ribadesella

--visit the church.  It took me the best part of two days even to find it, tucked away in a plaza at the far end of town

--visit the ermita up on the hill.  I could see it from my room, but I was still hill-shy


No comments:

Post a Comment