Saturday, June 12, 2010

Scene 2 in the Garden: In Which I am Cast as Mr. McGregor!

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrabbits! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrotten Leetle Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrabbits!

They're eating everything...Lettuces, beets, chard, and they have a definite fondness for eggplant, especially the oriental long ones. I have asked God to send me a fox. In the meantime, I have discovered that I'm a dab hand at trowel throwing. I actually hit one, but its a light carbon fibre trowel so it only skeered him a bit. Which is actually all I want to do.

Other mammals in the garden tonight were a baby weasel (long may his rabbit hunting soul prosper) and a full grown vole (who can stay only as long as he doesn't eat the produce, or until the weasel gets him, whichever comes first). Who knew gardening was such a blood sport. And speaking of blood, we've spread blood meal around everything a rabbit might find remotely tasty.

Oddly enough, the carrots are untouched. These are undoubtedly hipster rabbits. Nothing predictable for them. And they're locavores to boot. And I'd like to.

1 comment:

  1. Aww, them cute little bunnies that drive my doggie nuts from the dining room window.... Ours like daffodils, but apparently no herbs. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete