Sunday, January 31, 2010

A TOSS UP















At a thrift shop with an alliterative name which is NOT owned by Walmart, there is always something to boggle the mind. I went there today to drop off some donations, and because I knew there would be something crazy to see. I was disappointed not to see any really awful eighties suits or anything unsuitably sequinned, but there were these two examples.


On the left is an album by someone I've never heard of. It begs the question "HOW?" did he ever get enough play to have a "greatest hits" album. Uber-cool? I think not. On the right, we have the question "Why?" Why did anyone ever think any of these things were remotely what was required by anyone? I can't decide between the highly polished coconut piggy bank and the teasel headed hedgehog with the cauldron as being most ridiculous. And the touristy crap like "minimalist plywood beaver", "resin soapstone moose--is that a moose?" or the Blue Mountain Pottery Owl--in flame tones was rightly cast aside by whoever was the unfortunate recipient.


Why, Why, Why? and How, How, How? These questions haunt me whenever I haunt V V.

1 comment: